Board and mission
As a member-owned electric distribution utility, we provide electrical power and related services to more than 5,000 consumers. Our service territory lies mainly within the northeast Iowa counties of Bremer, Butler, Chickasaw, and Floyd. We also serve the communities of Aplington, Fairbank, Fredericksburg, Readlyn, and Hudson Municipal Electric Utility.
The cooperative is governed by a board of directors elected from among the members of Butler County REC. The board consists of nine co-op members serving three-year terms. Every year at our annual meeting, three of the positions come up for election.
2018 board officers: Leland Boyd, treasurer; Gary Poppe, vice president; Duane Rieckenberg, president; Gerald Schmitt, assistant secretary-treasurer; Tim Schrage, secretary
2018 board members
- Duane Rieckenberg, Ionia, president
- Gary Poppe, Ionia, vice president
- Tim Schrage, Allison, secretary
- Leland Boyd, Charles City, treasurer
- Gerald Schmitt, Rockford, assistant secretary-treasurer
- Steve Boevers, Readlyn
- Allyn Harms, Clarksville
- Share Brandt, Allison
- Troy Feldman, Greene
To improve quality of life for those whose lives we touch.
We will be the best in the eyes of our members, employees and industry by:
- Delivering safe, reliable, affordable and environmentally responsible energy
- Providing innovative solutions to member needs
- Enhancing quality of life and viability in our communities
- Creating a wide range of opportunities for our employees
One advantage of receiving electrical power from us is that you belong to a locally owned company directed by the people it serves. As a Touchstone Energy® Cooperative, we operate under a set of core values and will accelerate achievement of the above purpose and mission through actively displaying and holding ourselves accountable for the following core values:
- Commitment to Community
2018 cooperative facts
- Total miles of energized line -- 1,825
- Average number of consumers -- 5,081
- Number of consumers per mile of line -- 2.78
- Number of substations -- 22
- Total kilowatts used by consumers in 2017 -- 256,186,670
- Deferred patronage distribution in 2017 -- $282,248.68
Office headquarters are in Allison, and our line crews operate out of a warehouse also located in Allison and a second warehouse in Horton.
Contact us for an in-depth history of Butler County REC.